Okay my blog is still pretty new, but this is my first monthly wrap-up! I’m trying to find a layout that I like for it, but here we go!
At the beginning of the month I posted a July TBR list. My plan was to read 4 books. I actually did better than I expected- I completed my July list and I then read The Sin Eater’s Daughter, making a total of 5 books! 😀 I feel so happy, I’ve loved reading so many new books this month. Here is a quick summary of the books I read, although most have review posts on this blog already:
- Christopher Paolini’s Inheritance (re-read): ★★★☆☆ .Phew, this book was long (840 pages)! I never made a review post about this book as it was the fourth and final book in the series about Eragon and his dragon, Saphira. I hadn’t reviewed the previous 3 as I hadn’t created this blog by then, so it felt silly to start reviewing right at the end of the series. Paolini’s books are always long and very, very descriptive, but I still enjoyed the storyline. It is a very traditional high fantasy epic and it is one of the first big fantasy series’ I read when I was 11 or 12. It isn’t the best book out there but it will always be enjoyable to me.
- Read Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl:★★★☆☆. I had seen this book EVERYWHERE on bookish social media and I adored the cover, so I really wanted to check it out. I did make a blog post reviewing this book so I wont say too much. But it was a very sweet book, I really couldn’t put it down! In my review I only rated it 3 stars as there were certain things I didn’t like, but to be honest I might have been a little harsh. Looking back I really did enjoy the storyline and the diverse character personalities, so I might add an extra half a star to the rating now haha!
- Read Victoria Schwab’s A Darker Shade of Magic:★★★★☆. I posted a review of this book on Goodreads, as I prefer creating blog posts for special books I’ve loved or reviewing new books I’ve read for the first time. This was a good book, very easy to read and laid out in a very typical movie-style. I loved the magic world and the Londons Schwab has created, everything seemed to break the moulds somewhat which was really refreshing.
- Read Victoria Schwab’s A Gathering of Shadows:★★★☆☆. I posted a review of this book here on my blog. This is the sequel to A Darker Shade of Magic, and I really enjoyed. I found Lila a bit annoying at times, but overall I loved the character development in this book. Alucard is also a beautiful addition ❤
- Read Melinda Salisbury’s The Sin-Eater’s Daughter: rating TBA. As I finished by TBR earlier than expected I decided to read this book before YALC- I actually finished it on the train to the event! This was a good book to be honest; the main character Twylla can be a bit naive and annoying at times, but I kept having to remind myself that that was kind of the point, given her upbringing. I loved the twist at the end though! I haven’t reviewed this yet so I can’t publish a rating, but expect a blog post on this book next week!!
I know that I haven’t read as many as some other dedicated book enthusiasts and bloggers out there, but I am so proud that I passed my target, especially as I only read for about an hour or two in the evenings before bed. 🙂
Okay here is a quick blog post summary of July:
- July TBR
- Update + Rapid Fire Book Tag!
- Book Review: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
- Book Review: A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab
What else happened in July? Oh I went to my first ever YALC this month! It was such a good experience, I was in book heaven! I didn’t buy as many books as I wanted but I learnt so much- I’ll definitely be better prepared next year!
Right, down to August. I’m going to play it safe and stick to 3 books this month. I haven’t read any books this week as I have been busy and reading all the free samplers I got at YALC. Not only am I trying to pace myself for the moment until I get the hang of a blogging schedule, but I’m also busy this month so I wont have as much time to read. However I do have a growing pile of books to read next to my bed and I definitely don’t want to neglect them!
So, the books I want to read this August are:
- Sleeping Prince by Melinda Salisbury- The second book in the Sin Eater series. I just had to buy this at YALC as soon as I finished the first one, so I am excited to get stuck straight in to the story. I honestly don’t know much about the book, I am going into the sequel blind, so it will be interesting to see how the events from the first book will progress! Also, the cover is gorgeous ♥ ♥
- My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick- I bought this book back in June and I have been waiting to read it every since. Summer is always a good time for contemporaries so I wanted to read it before summer officially ends, hence why it is 100% on my TBR now! Heard a lot of good reviews about this authour so I’m hoping I’ll like it!
- Switched by Amanda Hocking- I actually bought this book at the beginning of July in the WHSmith book clearance section, it was only £1! It looks like a typical teen paranormal YA, but I am interested to see how it turns out (and if it is cliché or not). For that price I’d say it’s worth checking out any day #scrooge
If I do finish this TBR list this month I may check out my Kindle list, I’m sure I have bought some books on there that I haven’t read yet!
Okay, so that’s my July/August update for you all. I’m excited to be reading all this new books this month, what is everyone else reading? Let me know !